Medical Receptionist (Front Desk Registration & Check Out)
Responsible for providing a positive first impression of the organization. Must exhibit good customer service skills with a caring, courteous attitude while maintaining a smooth workflow by efficiently processing appointments. Responsible for verifying and entering all patient demographic data and insurance information assuring proper clinical treatment and filing of medical billing claims. Serves as the liaison between the patient and all other departments.
Essential Functions and Key Responsibilities:
- Greets patients and visitors in a courteous manner.
- Checks-in scheduled patients from appointment list.
- Obtains Photo ID and Insurance Card and scans both into the EHR.
- Verifies and enters all required patient data.
- Gives the patient the appropriate physician history, registration, HIPAA, assignment of benefits, treatment, and if applicable self-pay policy forms for completion and signature.
- Builds cases and enters copay information and any alerts needed.
- Collects self-pay deposits, when applicable.
- Prints patient routing slips.
- Informs patients of any delays in the physician’s schedules and estimated wait times.
- Communicates with the clinical staff regarding the patient’s arrival and status.
- Checks patients out.
- Collects copays and any balances due.
- Maintains cash drawer, performs transaction/batch balancing, and prepares deposits.
- Enters diagnosis codes in EHR to assure an accurate medical record and for billing purposes.
- Makes follow-up appointments as directed by routing slip.
- Enters information for Patient Plan and prints summary.
- Answers phone calls and directs to the appropriate extension or handles the call if able to as in giving directions.
- Cross-trains in all department job functions.
- Assists in orienting and training new department personnel.
Knowledge, Skills and Personal Characteristics
- Knowledge of all medical reception job functions.
- Knowledge of insurance participation, data required, and operating and practice guidelines.
- Knowledge of billing policies, self-pay policies, and referral procedures.
- Knowledge of office equipment including computer, scanner, printer, copier, calculator and credit card machine.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in the use of the EHR software.
- Knowledge of HIPAA regulations. Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a busy work environment.
- Ability to act calmly and effectively in busy or stressful situations.
- Ability to speak clearly and concisely.
- Ability to handle cash and count money.
- Ability to interact with other departments.
- Exhibits strong communication and interpersonal skills when interacting with patients, physicians, and co-workers.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures, including but not limited to standards for safety, personal conduct, attendance, punctuality, and personal appearance.
- Assumes responsibility for personal development and own actions.
- Promotes good public relations and customer service at all times
Education and Experience
- High School diploma or GED
Supervision Received: Reports to the Departmental Supervisor or Site Manager
Positions Supervised: None
About this company
OrthoTennessee brings together the area’s best orthopedic physicians in the Southeast. Our aim is to work together to provide the most up-to-date, extensive care for our patients. By combining our expertise, perspective is shared to create a wider, more inclusive knowledge of orthopedic medicine. In addition the feeling of community gained in our group helps foster communication and understanding on both sides. Our increased knowledge and communication guarantee our patients the most positive experience.